Tuesday, June 9, 2009

watch srilanka vs west indies t20 worldcup cricket live streaming


Gayle relishing Twenty20 showpiece

Chris Gayle believes the second ICC World T20 tournament is the ideal stage for up-and-coming players to showcase their worth.

West Indies captain Gayle, who recently caused a stir by revealing a preference for 20-over cricket over more traditional forms of the game, is excited by the exposure of the second global gathering in England this month.

West Indies are in the toughest of all groups and take on Australia on Saturday at the Oval as well as Sri Lanka.

Despite their challenging draw, however, and a terrible set of results since arriving on tour here in April, Gayle views this international competition as a shop window for future franchise deals in a fast-changing 20-over market.

I try to stick to my strength, says Gayle

"It's a huge thing," said Gayle. "It's good for players to be able to make a name for themselves in this format of the game. You never know what the future might hold for them."

Gayle's hundred against South Africa two years ago remains the only one in Twenty20's short international history and he will be employing his usual method of brute force rather than adopting any of the trendy flicks and sweeps of his contemporaries.

"The only extra option for my game is to try to pick up more singles," Gayle said. "I am not too much into the fancy strokes. I try to stick to my strength, which is power: once I get it right I will clear the boundary, so I have to back myself in certain situations.

"I am an attacking person, and hopefully that can bring a lot of joy and smiling in the crowd. The environment is brilliant when Twenty20 is going on. When Test match cricket is going on it is a bit more laid back and quiet."

Gayle sat out the warm-up thrashing by England in midweek after blitzing seven sixes in an unbeaten 88 against Scotland - and will return to lead a team including fellow Indian Premier League players Dwayne Bravo and Fidel Edwards.

No comments: